Work visas

Australian work visa

If you want to come to Australia to work you will need a visa that suits the work you intend to do. There are different work visas that will apply to skilled workers, people participating in specific activities, working holidaymakers, highly specialised workers, trainees (short term), experienced business people, and investors.

The type of visa you may get will depend on how long you want to stay. It is likely that you will need to have an occupation that is on a skills shortage list.

If you need a sponsor to be eligible for the grant of a work visa you can find a sponsor yourself, or you can put in an expression of interest using SkillSelect.

Skilled Workers

There are a variety of skilled migration options. If you work as a professional, manager or tradesperson, you may be eligible for Skilled Migration to Australia.

Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) visa (subclass 186)

Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) visa (subclass 187)

Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) – Points-tested stream

Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190)

Training visa (subclass 407)

Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa (subclass 482)

Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) – Graduate Work 

Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489).

Working Holiday

Information on obtaining a working holiday visa and how to stay on in Australia after you finish your working holiday.

Eligibility requirements

For both Work and Holiday visa subclass 462 and 417, you must be 18 to 30 years old (inclusive), a citizen of and hold a valid passport from one of these countries:

  • Argentina
  • Austria
  • Chile
  • China, People’s Republic of
  • Czech Republic
  • Ecuador
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Indonesia
  • Israel
  • Luxembourg
  • Malaysia
  • Peru
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • San Marino
  • Singapore
  • Slovak Republic
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Thailand
  • Turkey
  • Uruguay
  • USA
  • Vietnam

Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462)

If you are 18 to 30 years old and want to work in Australia to fund your holiday for up to 12 months, you may apply for the Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462). The application fee is AUD455 and you need to wait for 38-55 days if your visa is granted.

You may apply for renewal of this visa subject to recent changes in policy by the Australian government.

Working Holiday visa (subclass 417)

Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) is similar to subclass 462. This visa is granted to young adults 18 to 30 years old with the exception of citizens from Canada and Ireland whose age limit is extended to 35 years old. The processing period is between 23 and 77 days.